Cycling holidays, independent biking tours, advice on routes and maps, campsite lists etc. etc. – you’ll find it all here.
Portugal is a wonderful country to visit – gorgeous scenery, friendly people, quiet roads, rich culture and history, cheap wine and some tasty food. It’s also relatively unexplored by many cycle tourists.
And whether you’re the independent sort or looking for guided and self-guided holidays, this is THE site for free advice and information on anything to do with bicycling in Portugal.
On Pedal Portugal you will find detailed information on roads, routes and all kinds of other practicalities for cyclists. If you’re completely new to Portugal see our TOP 10 TIPS or browse the following sections:
- The Guided Tours page has the schedule for our biking holidays and links to details of each trip. Alternatively, if you prefer going it alone but want some expert advice on putting it all together then take a look at my Route Planning Service
- The Planning heading covers everything from basic facts about the country to where to buy maps and advice on taking your bike on Portuguese public transport, plus the Advice Form if you’ve got specific questions
- Check out the Information & Listings pages for details of campsites, links to accommodation lists in different towns, where to hire bikes, find bike shops, guided tours etc
- Look under Day Rides for information not just on shorter rides but also on how cycling conditions vary in the different regions of Portugal
- Or try the Touring Routes pages with detailed suggestions for how to see the best of Portugal from two wheels – the map below gives an outline of the routes:
Guided Cycle Tours
Our current schedule for 2018 is as follows:
- March 11th – 22nd: NEW* Southern Explorer Tour – 10 days, €1,385 Tour full – booking closed
- EASTER BREAK
- April 8th – 19th: *NEW* Southern Explorer – 10 days, €1,385 Tour full – booking closed
- April 30th – May 12th: Customized tour for closed group
- SUMMER BREAK
- Sept 22nd – Oct 4th: Eastern Frontier – 11 days, €1,520 Tour full – booking closed
- Oct 8th – 19th: Border Castles 10 days, €1,385 Tour full – booking closed
- Oct 28th – Nov 8th: Southern Explorer – 10 days, €1,385 *One more rider needed to confirm tour
- Nov 11th – 17th: Rota Vicentina – South West – 5 days, €1,130
- Dec 2nd – 12th: Algarve Coast & Country – 9 days, €1,375
Further tours will be added in months to come. Please contact me using the form at the bottom of this page if you want to advance book particular tours. We can also put together custom tours for anyone wanting a tailor-made trip for a closed group.
In 2016 I launched my own guided biking tours for small groups, taking in some of my favourite areas of Portugal. We’ll be repeating the same routes during 2017-18, plus two new routes – the Southern Explorer Tour and the Rota Vicentina South West Tour.
The links with the summaries below will take you to details of each guided bicycle holiday. To find out what riders thought of our first trips, see the Reviews page. You can also visit the Guided Tours page to check the schedule or join the mailing list for information on future trips, offers etc..
The Eastern Frontier Tour involves bicycling on a fairly tough north-south route through three different regions of Portugal over 12 days, from the northern end of the Serra da Estrela mountains all the way to the Gulf of Cadiz. (September 2017 and May and September 2018 departures)
The Algarve Winter Tour is a 9-day biking trip that takes in some of the most scenic scenery of Europe’s south-west corner, including spectacular Cabo São Vicente. (December 2017 and February and December 2018 departures)
*NEW* The Rota Vicentina South West Tour is a one-week trip exploring some of the best coastal and rural scenery in the far south-west corner of mainland Europe, following close to the route of one of the country’s most popular hiking trails. (October 2017 and February and November 2018 departures)
*NEW* The Southern Explorer Tour gives you a head start on spring with a 10-day guided biking trip that will take you from the rolling landscape of the Alentejo to the coast of the southern Algarve. (March, April and October 2018 departures)
The Border Castles Tour is a moderate 10-day holiday exploring the north-east Alentejo, riding across the region’s rolling farmland, visiting ancient towns and a string of frontier fortresses – see the blog for images from April’s Border Castles Tour. (April and October 2018 departures)
I’m putting together a series of detailed guides – with print and ebook versions – covering some of the best areas in Portugal for cycling.
The second book – Cycling The Algarve – is now out. This includes a six-day touring circuit of the western Algarve (plus a tiny bit of the south-west Alentejo), a couple of two-day extensions and 10 day rides starting in various towns to the west of Faro.
The first guide – The Alentejo Circuit – contains details of a six-day tour through the region, starting and finishing in the World Heritage city of Évora, plus a three-day extension out to the coast. See the Guidebooks page to find out more and to sign up for updates on future publications.
Route Planning Service
For those of you who want to stay independent but aren’t sure about where to go, I have now launched a new service that might solve your problems.
I’ll continue to answer one-off questions for free as I have done for the past few years (see Browse & Ask below). However, if you need a more in-depth service then I’m offering to put together bespoke rides and touring plans to match your interests and requirements.
I’ll agree a basic route with you and then draw up a detailed itinerary, arming you with carefully-planned routes, information on places to see along the way – as well as where to find a cafe or supermarket – plus suggestions on accommodation. All you need to do is get yourself there and do the pedalling! For more information, see the Route Planning Service page.
Browse & Ask
At the moment, this site is a one-man project – and still developing! The Latest Updates page will show you the most recent additions and revisions to the site.
You can also follow on Facebook – which I’ll also use to flag up changes, new info and post the odd picture to make you dream of Portugal!
Feedback and advice from other cyclists is very, very welcome. So if you’ve got any tips, rides or other information you’re willing to share then please do! (Either via FB, email or a comment on this site).
Please browse the pages, look at the information available and use the Advice Form if you’ve got any questions – the more details you give me, the easier it is to give you a useful answer. (This is a FREE service but any donations via PayPal – whether $1 or £1 – will be greatly appreciated.)
Don’t forget to also check out the blog for news, updates and other developments. As the site is a work in progress you might want to follow the blog to make sure you don’t miss posts providing new information. (See the sign-up box at the top of the right-hand column.)
I hope you find Pedal Portugal useful. I can’t answer every question but, if in doubt, just go! Portugal is one of my favourite countries and well worth a visit. The roads vary but the people are great, the wine’s cheap and you’ll never forget the views.
Happy cycling! All the best, Huw