Welcome to Pedal Portugal
Portugal is a wonderful country to visit – gorgeous scenery, friendly people, quiet roads, rich culture and history, some superb wine and some tasty food. Much of it is also relatively unexplored by cycle tourists.
And whether you’re the independent sort or looking for guided bike tours, this is the site for free advice and information on anything to do with bicycling in Portugal.
Pedal Portugal is here to give fellow riders detailed information on roads, routes and all kinds of other useful cycling-related stuff. With the exception of our guided tours and route planning service (see below), all resources on this site are free.
If you’re new to cycling in Portugal, take a look at our Top 10 Tips first and then browse the following sections:
Routes & Resources is where you’ll find all the free stuff, with everything from campsite listings and addresses of bike shops across Portugal to suggestions for short rides and route plans for long-distance touring (see map below)
We plan to run the following guided tours in 2022:
- Southern Explorer – Sunday 6th March to Thursday 17th March – €1,460 Ten spaces available
- Border Castles – Sunday 27th March to Thursday 7th April – €1,495 Two spaces available & reserve list
- Historic Heartland – Sunday 24th April – Friday 6th May Sorry, tour full
- Historic Heartland – Sunday 15th – Friday 27th May Sorry, tour full
- Eastern Frontier – Sunday 18th to Thursday 29th September – €1,495 Reserve list spaces only
- Border Castles – Sunday 9th to Thursday 20th October – €1,580 One space available & reserve list
To get on our mailing list for information about new tours dates, fill in the form below. To find out what previous riders thought, go to our Reviews page.
The free information on this site is a one-man project – and still evolving. Feedback and advice from other cyclists is always extremely welcome. So, if you have any tips or other information you’re willing to share then please do.
I hope you find Pedal Portugal useful. If in doubt, just go. Portugal is one of my favourite countries and well worth a visit. The people, wine and food are great and there’s some spectacular landscapes.
Happy cycling! All the best, Huw